Kabeli Palau is a much loved party dish in Afghanistan. The highly seasoned rice dish is finished in the oven, giving the cook 45 minutes to prepare for the arrival of their guests (simply prepare garnish ahead of time). The intense flavor of garaham masala is balanced by sweet bursts of carrot and golden raisins.Note: You may purchase 6 cups chicken broth and use leftover chicken pieces. This will save you several steps (and at least an hour) if you are in a hurry.
- 1 lb basmati rice, rinsed
- 1/4 cup ghee or butter
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 1/2 chicken, bone in or 3 chicken breasts
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 6 cups water
- 1 Tbsp garaham masala
- 1/4 tsp saffron
- 2 carrots, cut into matchsticks or shredded
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- pinch saffron
- 1/2 cup hot water
1. In a large pot, bring 6 cups water to a boil.
2. Meanwhile, rinse rice until water runs clear. Add rice to boiling water, reduce heat to low and simmer for 6 minutes. Drain rice and discard cooking water.
3. Add six cups water to a large pot. Add chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is falling off the bone.
4. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook onions in ghee until deep golden brown in color. This could take 30 minutes. Stir often. Be careful not to let pan dry out and burn the onions.
5. In a food processor, combine onion, tomato paste, and a 1/2 cup chicken broth. This will cook more on the stove and in the oven, so you can take the broth at any point from the simmering pot of chicken.
6. In a very large casserole (I used my new, oven safe wok), combine rice and onion mixture. Add salt, garlic, garaham masala, and saffron.
7. Defat chicken broth and strain into to rice mixture.
8. Preheat oven to 350F. Pick through chicken and add the pieces to the rice mixture. Stir to combine.
9. Cook uncovered in the oven until rice is tender (taste test please), about 45 minutes, adding up to a cup of water towards the end if it looks too dry. Some drying around the edges is normal.
10. Meanwhile, saute carrots in ghee until golden brown and soft. Add raisins, almonds, saffron, and water. Cook until water is reduced and raisins have plumped.
11. Add carrot garnish to the top of the rice mixture when done cooking. Serve immediately.
Indian Style Basmati Rice
This is a savory Indian style rice dish flavored with whole spices and fried onions. Soaking the basmati rice before cooking makes all the difference. Serve with your favorite Indian curry or dal (lentils). Make sure you warn people not to bite into the whole spices!"Prep Time: 10 MinCook Time: 25 MinReady In: 45 Min
- 1 1/2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (2 inch) piece cinnamon stick
- 2 pods green cardamom
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
1.Place rice into a bowl with enough water to cover. Set aside to soak for 20 minutes.
2.Heat the oil in a large pot or saucepan over medium heat. Add the cinnamon stick, cardamom pods, cloves, and cumin seed. Cook and stir for about a minute, then add the onion to the pot. Saute the onion until a rich golden brown, about 10 minutes. Drain the water from the rice, and stir into the pot. Cook and stir the rice for a few minutes, until lightly toasted. Add salt and water to the pot, and bring to a boil. Cover, and reduce heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes, or until all of the water has been absorbed. Let stand for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork before serving.
Brown Rice Recipe
This is a great meal that we eat here often in the winter time. With some dark bread and maybe a salad it is a really hearty meal, though we have been known to eat just this for dinner.
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 3 cups water
1- Rinse 1 cup uncooked rice thoroughly in Fresh water. Soakthe rice in warm water for 30 minutes.
2- Drain rice and add it to a 3 cups boiling water in a pan coverwith tight fitting, boil rice for 18-20 minutes and stir once ortwice.
3- Add 1 teaspoon oil (optional).
4-Reduce heat to low and let steam for about 2 minutes. Fluffrice with fork before serving.